Linux: so it seems one of the GNOME guys wants to rewrite the rc.d boot script system in Python. Eek!
Games: Someone has broken into Valve Software’s network and stolen the source code for Half-Life 2 — shacknews:
- 1) Starting around 9/11 of this year, someone other than me was accessing my email account. This has been determined by looking at traffic on our email server versus my travel schedule.
- 2) Shortly afterwards my machine started acting weird (right-clicking on executables would crash explorer). I was unable to find a virus or trojan on my machine, I reformatted my hard drive, and reinstalled.
- 3) For the next week, there appears to have been suspicious activity on my webmail account.
- 4) Around 9/19 someone made a copy of the HL-2 source tree.
- 5) At some point, keystroke recorders got installed on several machines at Valve. Our speculation is that these were done via a buffer overflow in Outlook’s preview pane. This recorder is apparently a customized version of RemoteAnywhere created to infect Valve (at least it hasn’t been seen anywhere else, and isn’t detected by normal virus scanning tools).
Insanely bad news for Valve. :(