Urban Dead HUD

I’ve been playing a bit of Urban Dead recently. Urban Dead is a very low-key, web-based MMORPG — you play a 3-minute turn once every 24 hours. It needs some rebalancing and some new features, especially given the organised nature of some of the bigger marauding zombie hordes, but I’m still finding it fun.

To scratch a couple of itches, I’ve written a Greasemonkey user script for UD called the Urban Dead HUD. It adds several nifty features to the user interface:

• keyboard accelerator access keys for the action buttons, and your inventory — very handy when you’re attacking an enemy repeatedly;
  • an on-page long-distance map of the surrounding squares;
  • a distance tracker, which tracks the distances to “important” locations for you

There’s screenshots on the download page, so you can see what I’m talking about.

Greasemonkey is a fantastic tool, as is Mark Pilgrim’s Dive Into Greasemonkey, which has repeatedly turned out to be an excellent, well-written reference while hacking this. Thanks guys!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

1. phineas
    Posted November 9, 2005 at 03:52 | Permalink

hey.. i love the idea for the GM script but it’s not working for me. i’ve installed v.0.4 but it has no effect on the ../map.cgi page.

i have other UD extensions running, are they conflicting by any chance?

2. Posted November 9, 2005 at 05:05 | Permalink

phineas — I haven’t heard of that before. It should be able to co-exist just fine. Have you checked the Javascript Console for errors? (Tools -> Javascript Console)

3. Posted November 18, 2005 at 22:01 | Permalink

Hi mate. Good looking script! I’ve only got a few problems with it, really hope you can help!

1. The wide are map at the bottom is distorted, and hard to read.
    2. How do I sort the inventory? It’s still standard!

Thanks for your time, and you should really mention this on the forums!!!

4. Posted November 18, 2005 at 22:03 | Permalink

Sorry, forgot the mention, there’s no errors in the console.

5. Posted November 22, 2005 at 03:12 | Permalink

hi Ritchie —

duh. I’d forgotten to upload the new version (with inventory sorting) to the URL used on that page! should be fixed now.

Please feel free to mention it on the forums — I’m never on them, so it’s unlikely I will ;)

6. Dan
    Posted December 12, 2005 at 01:16 | Permalink

Sorry to bother you, but I have also had some problems. My problems do seem to be in the java console. Two different problems:

Error: Expected color but found ‘raised’. Expected color but found ‘raised’. Expected end of value for property but found ‘raised’. Error in parsing value for property ‘border’. Declaration dropped. Source File: http://www.urbandead.com/d.css Line: 24

Error: Unknown property ‘backgroundx’. Declaration dropped. Source File: http://www.urbandead.com/d.css Line: 65

I am not very saavy when it comes to scripts and such so I would appreciate it if you could help me out. The scripts screnshots look quite nice.

7. Posted December 25, 2005 at 12:47 | Permalink

i have the same prob as Dan :(

8. RM
    Posted January 10, 2006 at 13:08 | Permalink

I can’t seem to get mine to work :( either the /map.cgi page looks the same can’t see anything wrong w/the JS console…stumped :( looks like a useful tool if I can just get it to work :(

9. RM
    Posted January 10, 2006 at 13:16 | Permalink

Wait..I am a Zombie at the moment..maybe THAT’s WHY? would that affect it?

10. Benpage26
    Posted January 21, 2006 at 12:16 | Permalink

I am getting all those errors

Error: Unknown property ‘spacing’. Declaration dropped. Source File: http://www.urbandead.com/d.css Line: 178

Error: Unknown property ‘backgroundx’. Declaration dropped. Source File: http://www.urbandead.com/d.css Line: 111

Error: Expected colour but found ‘raised’. Expected colour but found ‘raised’. Expected end of value for property but found ‘raised’. Error in parsing value for property ‘border’. Declaration dropped. Source File: http://www.urbandead.com/d.css Line: 24

i think there are a few more. and i have no idea how to fix them.

11. purty
    Posted January 26, 2006 at 22:03 | Permalink

it is also non functional for me, anyone have any ideas?

12. DCLXVI
    Posted October 25, 2006 at 00:47 | Permalink

another good toolbar out there is an extension for UD and hound be found at http://udtoolbar.mozdev.org/ one of the best ones I’ve found…

13. cypher-neo
    Posted August 23, 2007 at 06:23 | Permalink

Yeah this is not working for me at ALL… It’s not sorting anything, or displaying any links for big maps or distance calculations, nata. Yes, AFAIK, my Javascript is working and up-to-date. I’m not getting error messages, but the script is doing absolutely nothing.

14. Posted August 23, 2007 at 10:23 | Permalink

hey —

at this stage, I’m afraid the HUD probably doesn’t work at all; I haven’t logged into UD in over a year and a half, I’d say. Sorry about that :(