Top 100 Irish Blogs, pt 2

The previous post was pretty popular, and one of the requests was for a regularly-updated listing. So here it is:

Since Technorati limit daily queries to about 500 per day (iirc), and there are quite a few more blogs in the Irish blogs list, I plan to update it on a nightly basis, with each set of blogs updating on different days. This should result in the figures staying more-or-less up to date without hammering T’rati too much.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

1. Posted November 6, 2006 at 15:34 | Permalink

I’ve fixed the OPML errors in the PJ listing as well Justin, hope this helps.

Also, if anyone wants to help review submissions to Planet Journals, please let me know :)

2. Posted November 6, 2006 at 16:08 | Permalink

Nice work Justin

What are your thoughts about the well documented issues with Technorati updates and stale data? Link count has been static for ages (and varies with page on technorati), and recently I saw that I hadn’t been blogging for 68 days :-O

PS @John – if you are subscribed and get this then I wouldn’t mind giving an hour or two here and there. Cant say when but possibly over w’ends. You know my mail from all the hassle I’ve been giving you :-)

3. Posted November 6, 2006 at 16:52 | Permalink

Thanks Cloud!

hi Richard — Technorati do seem to have some trouble, so I wouldn’t consider this the gospel. It’s probably more accurate than anything else I’ve seen though. ;)

4. Posted November 6, 2006 at 17:53 | Permalink

I’d be interested to note how many subscribers the blogs have. At bloglines it looks to me that, an Irish blog that I mentioned before, has 101 subscribers but isn’t listed here.

Meanwhile… has 47 subscribers 18 subscribers 47 subscribers

I reckon to judge what is a ‘Top Irish’ blog, the amount of regular subscribers listed should be included along with the Top 100 by rank / inbound blog links & Top 100 by inbound links . Only an idea :-)

5. Posted November 6, 2006 at 18:10 | Permalink

CyberScribe: if there’s an API to look up bloglines’ subscribers figures with, I could certainly add that to the list.

however, I’m not a massive fan of measuring blog readership via Bloglines alone — for obvious reasons, it overrepresents Bloglines-using readers and ignores all others ;)

6. Posted November 6, 2006 at 18:36 | Permalink

If all blogs were using the same software it would be so much simpler… Utopia where are you??

7. Posted November 6, 2006 at 18:42 | Permalink

Sorry, another observation.

One of the top blogs listed has links (on it’s blogroll), as I’m sure lots of blogs have, to 5 or 6 blogs that no longer exist.(the 5 or 6 are a few I know of personaly – I haven’t checked them all) If these blogs have linked back, as I’m sure most blogs would, would these ‘useless’ links be counted towars the totla of inbound links/inbound blog links ?

8. Posted November 6, 2006 at 18:47 | Permalink

Cyberscribe, you are absolutely correct, the number of subscribers a blog has is a very good indication of its ‘popularity’

Feedburner have a widget you can add to your site which allows you to publish the number of people subscribed to your feed. This is dynamic and changes daily (it is interesting to watch the number dip at weekends when people turn their computers off).

The only catch, as Michele rightly points out, is that everyone has to be using Feedburner to burn their feeds for this to work

9. Posted November 7, 2006 at 13:11 | Permalink

it would be cool to add columns for “subscribers in feedburner”, “subscribers in bloglines”, “subscribers in [whatever]”, alright. However, AFAIK those services don’t make that info available using an API, which would definitely be required — the bulk queries this tool imposes are not exactly good etiquette otherwise.

10. Posted November 10, 2006 at 13:23 | Permalink

Hey — I’ve noticed another issue. As notes, quite a few of the listings have stopped publishing, such as number 5, Tom Murphy’s

I’m wondering — should no-longer-publishing blogs be listed? Technorati still keeps their ranking high — clearly old data is not expired from the Technorati database for at least a year. But maybe my scripts should use last-post-published time, from where available, and discard blogs that haven’t put anything up in something like 4 months.

What do you think? Anyone?

11. Posted November 11, 2006 at 15:54 | Permalink

I’d suggest that ‘no-longer-publishing blogs’ should be listed but readers be made aware that those blogs haven’t published for whatever time.

12. Posted November 11, 2006 at 22:20 | Permalink

I like Richard, was not being updated for over 100 days when you sampled this data. I’m a bit higher at the current moment.

13. Posted November 15, 2006 at 15:31 | Permalink

Hi there..

Hey cyberscribe thinks for sticking up for my humble blog… I need to fix the template on it though.. Blogger’s templates arent that good… Well I keep breaking them! :)

14. Posted November 29, 2006 at 01:48 | Permalink

Woo. Apparently I’d be in the mid-eighties if I were listed.

Boo, I can’t get listed without signing up to some PageRank leech site or other…

15. Posted November 29, 2006 at 12:41 | Permalink

John, I’ve just visited your blog so you’re maybe higher up that list than you think :-)

16. Posted November 30, 2006 at 23:43 | Permalink

how come Blogorrah doesn’t feature? Here are the technorati stats as of today:

* Rank: 31,570 (237 links from 102 blogs)
  17. Posted December 1, 2006 at 11:24 | Permalink

Johnny — good point!

I guess they’re not pinging the Planet of the Blogs aggregator, which is where I get the “list of Irish blogs” from.

Luckily, I planned for this eventuality ;) I’ve added them now. If anyone can think of blogs in a similar situation, let me know their URLs and I’ll add them too…

18. Posted January 21, 2007 at 17:43 | Permalink

I just came across your posts and the terrific list of Irish Blogs that you have collated when searching on “Irish Blogs”.

I also had not come across the Planet Journals aggregator until I saw it mentioned on the Irish Blog Awards site. I have now submitted my feed there so hopefully will be showing up on your list in the future.

In the meantime I’ve bookmarked your listing – thanks so much for making it available to us all.

Best wishes

19. Posted August 21, 2007 at 15:34 | Permalink

Is the listing now dead? I know it was meant to be updated regularly, and I forgot about it until today, but the results don’t seem to have changed… love to see an update!

20. Posted August 21, 2007 at 15:46 | Permalink

Thanks for the note Frank, it broke back in July. doh! I’m refreshing it now…

21. Posted August 21, 2007 at 15:56 | Permalink

Wow, fast response! Thanks Justin! :)

22. Posted August 21, 2007 at 16:30 | Permalink

Seems to be some issue with the bifsniff counts. Not an issue at your end or anything I imagine Justin, just not sure what’s going on – I suspect it’s something to do with canonical url issues which I played with since the last update. and were being coutned seperately. Now, they still are but my preferred url is coming up with zero links…

what’s also odd is that sites I know that are still accessible through both www and no-www don’t seem to be getting double entries the way bifsniff was… I must look into that, but if anyone has any suggestions, I’m all ears!

23. Posted August 21, 2007 at 16:44 | Permalink

yeah, it looks like t’rati are doing something odd to collapse the two listings into 1 for their web UI; I probably need to figure out what that looks like in their XML output and fix my script to understand it.

I’ll take a look tomorrow, since I’ve just used all my queries for today!

24. Posted August 23, 2007 at 12:10 | Permalink

frankp: ok, it’s fixed now.

Technorati seem to have decided that and are the same site (correctly) and that is the preferred URL (possibly incorrectly?). I don’t know how you’d fix that though ;)

25. Posted August 23, 2007 at 12:27 | Permalink

bifsniffcom is the preferred url, so that’s ok, what I don’t get is that previously we had links to and links to (not exact figures) and it was my impression that once we fixed the canonical url issue all the links would be going to

but now it looks like there are 284 links to and none to…

Never mind, I’ll look into it when I get some time and bother you when I know what I’m talking about! Thanks Justin!

26. Posted October 4, 2007 at 18:10 | Permalink

if anyone’s curious, I’ve updated the source tarball with the current version of the code:

27. Rory B
    Posted November 2, 2007 at 18:55 | Permalink

Just found this via Mulley – excellent work

Comment, though, where are the blogs? I would have thought they’d hvea featured in the Top 100

28. Posted November 2, 2007 at 19:12 | Permalink

good point Rory — I’ve added them.

29. Rory B
    Posted November 3, 2007 at 17:07 | Permalink

I also noticed one other missing blog which I was surprised not to see listed – Una Rocks.

30. Posted November 11, 2007 at 23:48 | Permalink

thanks Rory! keep ’em coming ;)

31. Posted December 1, 2007 at 19:56 | Permalink

I’m not on the list at all. Is that because you hate me, or because I’m a shite blogger? I’m not complaining: it would come as no surprise if you hated me, and most of my readers think I’m a shite blogger.

Just wondering.

32. Posted December 2, 2007 at 00:11 | Permalink

Justin, just wanted to say thank you for compiling the list :), you must be a glutton for punishment. Obviously, from the comments above it becomes quite intricate to factor in all possible measurement tools into a ranking like this so well done!

Curly K

33. Posted December 3, 2007 at 11:16 | Permalink

Bock: ah sure we’re all shite bloggers anyway. I’ve added you to the list, but it seems I’ve used up my allowance of daily Technorati queries so you may not show up ’til tomorrow.

Curly: cheers! mind you Technorati does all the heavy lifting for me anyway ;)

34. Posted February 14, 2008 at 18:48 | Permalink

Would it be possible to add me to this? Just curious. oddly enough my really old personal blog narrandir is in already.

35. Posted February 19, 2008 at 22:26 | Permalink

Dan — you’re in now!

36. Posted February 19, 2008 at 22:30 | Permalink

Justin, a couple of those sites are dead, and one is just an ad.

But the rest are great!

37. Posted February 20, 2008 at 16:38 | Permalink

Bock — name and shame and I’ll try to sort them out.

38. Posted February 20, 2008 at 16:46 | Permalink

to follow up: I’ve just removed Natterjack PR, . That one is certainly dead, it hasn’t updated since 2006. any more?

39. Posted February 20, 2008 at 16:55 | Permalink

Justin, I hate to nitpick, and thanks a million for this great resource but if you check the url it gives a result of 72 for my site, as opposed to the 3 your search yields.

40. Posted February 20, 2008 at 17:06 | Permalink

hi Tom!

Yep, ‘’ has 3 — but ‘’ has 72. on the other hand, when I narrowed it down to using the non-WWW variant of your address, the non-WWW form had a higher Technorati rank, which I thought was more useful, which is why I used that. (since then though, they seem to have normalized it so they both have the same rank, so that’s no longer significant.)

Here’s what I might do to deal with this in future: I’ll fix the scraper to look up both the www and non-www forms of each URL, and combine them. that should help… gimme a while to get some time to do this though ;)

41. Posted February 20, 2008 at 17:21 | Permalink

Excellent, appreciate it, thanks Justin

42. Posted June 11, 2008 at 10:32 | Permalink

I’m going to remove the IIA’s blog from the list, due to this spam infection; right now it’s in the top 3 due to that. Once Technorati times out the spam side-effects, it should return to a more reasonable position.

43. Posted June 11, 2008 at 10:40 | Permalink
  44. Posted April 20, 2012 at 23:35 | Permalink

Hi, Would it be possible to include my blog on the list. It’s a blog about digital and online marketing in Ireland: Thanks.

45. Posted January 2, 2013 at 02:48 | Permalink

I would like to be a part of it also, thanks

46. Posted January 2, 2013 at 02:49 | Permalink

I would like to be considered as thank you!