The nightmare that is Ryanair

It’s interesting reading US weblogs when they wax enthusiastic about Ryanair, typically on the foot of this BusinessWeek article.

Here’s the thing — flying Ryanair is a deeply unpleasant experience. I’ve heard rumour that their staff are paid commission based on how many discretionary charges they can pile onto the basic fare — leaving you feeling nickled and dimed at every turn — and that certainly matches with my experience. I mean, I’ve had better service in train stations in Uttar Pradesh.

In our case, our “no more” moment was after a trip to Spain earlier this year, where we were humiliated for attempting to shift around luggage instead of immediately paying the charges liable once you exceed 15 kilos (33 pounds). (Naturally, there’s no weighing scales until you get right in front of the check-in desk…) Once it became clear we didn’t want to pay the fee, the check-in person screamed at us, and sent us to the back of the check-in queue — like bold schoolchildren!

This level of service is pretty standard, going by local word of mouth. Several of my friends have, like me, vowed never to fly them again, even picking more expensive flights to more distant airports to avoid it.

It’s certainly not comparable to JetBlue, or any other low-fare airline I’ve had the pleasure of dealing with — this is a level below. The BusinessWeek article ends with:

American long-haul discounters aren’t likely to go to the extremes Ryanair has gone to sell basic services, but they’re paying more attention to Ryanair these days. “They’re on the cutting edge,” says Tad Hutcheson, vice-president for marketing at AirTran, which recently assigned two marketing staffers to spend a week flying on Ryanair. “Charging for Cokes or snacks, blankets or pillows–I’m not sure Americans are ready for that.”

Well, I certainly hope not, for their sakes!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

1. Victor Theofilopoulos
    Posted April 23, 2008 at 13:28 | Permalink

Hilary, how would you know me? :)

2. Victor Theofilopoulos
    Posted April 23, 2008 at 13:29 | Permalink

Hilary, there;s always a chance, but how would you know me? :)

3. Hilary
    Posted April 23, 2008 at 16:28 | Permalink

Sorry for going off the subject but your name sounds remarkably like an Aussie from Perth who lives in Dublin & runs an aviation site called Dial a Shop or something. Would I be correct? If so I reckon you know who I am, I rang your department at work one day to report something re: the internet not knowing you worked there. You answered the phone & I recognised your voice. If it’s you we’ll have to stop bumping into each other unexpectedly like this LOL. BTW if its you I saw u on the street the other day returning home from work.

4. Victor Theofilopoulos
    Posted April 24, 2008 at 15:50 | Permalink

Hello Hilary,

I’m afraid I’ll probably be diasappointing you by saying to you that I’m not the Victor you believe to be.

Yes although I am Victor 100% through and through and Greek I live and work in Athens, Greece in a Consulting firm. I basically went to school in the UK, Manchester and to university in London. I have been living in Greece permanently since 1999.

Take care // thanks for your interest.

It’s a good forum this – it’s a real pity about Ryanair’s bad practices and completely unethical business philosophy.

5. Samantha
    Posted April 30, 2008 at 13:22 | Permalink

The low-cost airline industry especially when one feels they have the right to travel to another country for a few euros is causing irreversible damage to the environment. If you want to fly then you must pay for it – if you can’t afford it then tough luck! Ryanair must be stopped as it is a dangerous airline. I am an air traffic controller in London at the Swanwick air traffic control centre and time and time again Ryanair pilots ignore or override air traffic control regulations and instructions in order to save money. Alone in London, Ryanair has been responsible for over 18,000 air traffic control infringements for ignoring international regulations concerning vertical and horizontal aircraft separations especially during complex descent flight patterns for London Airports wishing to cut 30 seconds and 1 minute off flying time to save costs and playing for your lives. Do not fly Ryanair – they are a very dangerous airline infringing even the minimum safety reuqirements of the CAA and of the European Aviation Safety Regulatory Commission. Time and time again serious reports have been filed to the EU Commission which allows itself to be bribed and conned by Ryanair CEO creating immense pressure on us controllers as we are not allowed to speak freely of such incidents. I am and I don’t give a donkey’s any more about the job or if I loose it or not. I am damn serious, Ryanair and other low-costs are causing major safety breaches all across the EU especially in the south-east of England where the air space is already heavily congested claiming that they are not getting preferential treatment as opposed to the legacy carriers. Why should they get preferential treatment – they are an airline like all others – if theycan’t bear the cost and the responsibility, then they should pack up and go home and cease their operations and do us all a favour.

RYANAIR IS DANGEROUS – THEY ARE PLAYING WITH YOUR LIVES AND WITH THE LIVES OF OTHERS – THEY HAVE BEEN RESPONSIBLE FOR OVER 18,000 AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL INFRINGEMENTS THIS YEAR ALONE IN THE LONDON AIRSPACE.

6. Mark
    Posted May 9, 2008 at 15:00 | Permalink

I’m Irish and I say do not fly Ryanair – although it provides jobs it will eventually kill the Irish economy through its horrific business practices. I have unfortunately flown thrice on Ryanair and all were an abismal experience. Never to fly on them again I might add.

They are also a very unsafe airline – I have also heard of numerous incidents concerning safety issues.

They are also responsible for helping to further destroy the environment. I guess I would agree with most people I talk to, that if you want 2 fly u got 2 pay…No more of this cattle-market cheap fares business.

7. Matt
    Posted June 4, 2008 at 13:49 | Permalink

My limited experience with Ryanair has left me feeling dirty. The only time I used them (they were the only carrier on a particular route), they charged me for the same flights twice. When I phoned the ‘help’ line I was obliged to listen to a veeerrrrryyyyy ssssllloooowwww recorded message at 10p a minute. Then after listening to muzak for 5 minutes or so, I was summarily cut off. Not a bad way to make money, eh?

8. Richard
    Posted June 17, 2008 at 09:04 | Permalink

Booked a flight on a Sunday from Carcassonne to Dublin for my mother. Flight was cancelled at the gate. Passengers given a photocopied bit of paper with a phone number to rebook- phone-line closed until monday. Zero help from Ryanair desk. Had to get transport to another airport and book another flight with another airline. Now trying to get a refund – no phone number. Fax number been engaged solidly for 3 days. Ryanair are crooks and bounders and I won’t fly with them unless positively indispensable to do so.

9. Dione
    Posted June 17, 2008 at 09:27 | Permalink

THE WORLD WAS A BETTER PLACE WITHOUT RYANAIR AND ALL THIS MADNESS OF THE LOW-COST AIRLINES. FLYING WAS AN EXPERIENCE NOT A CATTLE MARKET…..

ONCE HAVE I FLOWN ON RYANAIR AND IT WAS A HORRENDOUS EXPERIENCE – SINCE THEN I AM AN ACTIVE ANTI-RYANAIR SPOKESWOMAN AND AM DOING WHATEVER POSSIBLE TO DETER PEOPLE FROM FLYING RYANAIR AND HOPEFULLY WITH ALL THESE ACCOUNTS OF BAD EXPERIENCES WITH THE AIRLINE AND MANY THOUSANDS MORE I HEAR AND READ ABOUT – HOPEFULLY RYANAIR CAN BE HISTORY VERY SOON….WE DO NOT NEED CRIMINAL COWBOYS LIKE THESE FLYING THE SKIES NOR DO WE NEED CONCEITED NOBODIES AS O’LEARY TELLING US WHAT IS GOOD FOR US…I WOULD RATHER PAY MORE RATHER THAN FLY WITH THESE SCOUNDRELS……RYANAIR IS THE WORST THING EVER INVENTED IN INTERNATIONAL AVIATION – I WISH THEY’D GONE BUST BACK IN THE DAYS WHEN THEY JUST HAD TWO OR THREE PLANES.

AND HOW LUCKY GREECE STILL IS NOT TO HAVE THESE CRIMINALS PROVIDING THIER BUS SERVICE OVER THERE AS THE LAST OF EUROPE’S REMAINING PARADISE ISLANDS AND I DO NOT MEAN MIKONOS, PAROS, RHODES, CORFU, ZAKYNTHOS OR SANTORINI WHICH HAVE ALREADY BEEN DESTROYED BY MASS TOURISM MAINLY FROM THE UK – SHOULD REMAIN SO……CAN YOU IMAGINE THE DAMAGE TO BE DONE IF IDIOTS LIKE RYANAIR WERE ALLOWED TO FLY TO GREECE.

PLEASE EVERYBODY IT IS IN YOUR OWN GOOD AND FUTURE INTEREST TO STOP PEOPLE FLYING RYANAIR…..AND I HAVE ALSO HEARD AND READ OF MAJOR AIR-TRAFFIC SECURITY BREACHES BY RYANAIR PILOTS AND PLANES.

10. Pete
    Posted June 17, 2008 at 10:15 | Permalink

Ryanair are criminals and thugs leaving you stranded at airports with no notice – their phone and fax lines are never operational and by EU law they should be reachable via e-mail or via an actual person speaking on a telephone..Michael o’Leary is perhaps the biggest unethical criminal there is around in business and unethical in aviation at some point will also mean unsafe…..I have too read about numerous saftey breaches by Ryanair planes and do indeed wonder why this airline ahs not yet been forced to close….I wish somebody would get rid of them and all you Irish folks – support our national carriers – support Aer Lingus in Eire not this scam of an airline.

11. Lesley
    Posted June 20, 2008 at 10:42 | Permalink

My daughter and her boyfriend went to Sevilla from Stansted. He lost his passport on the plane. Ryanair staff refused to let him return look for it. The pair were separated by shouting customs officials with guns who spoke no English. He was deported from Seville as an illegal alien and treated like a criminal. I had to listen to my daughter (aged 16) crying down the phone to me from Spain because her holiday was ruined. When he returned to Stansted his passport was reported stolen and he must buy another. It had been handed in as lost to Ryanair staff. Anyone who finds a lost passport on the plane MUST understand that it is necessary to return it or the owner’s holiday will be ruined. Ryanair provided no documentation to the BF to explain what had happened. Their behaviour was appalling. I am shocked they could be so cruel and inhumane- it doesn’t matter how much or how little I paid for the ticket: or how much the staff get paid> This is dreadful dreadful treatment of passengers.

12. Pete
    Posted June 20, 2008 at 12:03 | Permalink

Stop Ryanair – they behave like criminals towards passengers with no concern for anything. They are an unsafe airline cutting an inummerable amount of corners whether be it on the ground or be it in the air. July 1st will see an Irish and then Europe-wide truth tour informing passengers not to fly Ryanair and generally avoid the low-cost carriers. The only low-cost carriers where apparently people get treated humanely are EasyJet and Southwest Airlines in the US – both of which are truly professional and excellent airlines. All others are just common thugs who want to make a huge profit overnight charging pennies for tickets and cutting corners not only in areas of humane and polite behaviour but also more importantly in safety. Their CEO Michael O’Leary is a common unethical business thug his only concern being his and his family’s pocket. Unfortunately such an unethical and immoral thug is bringing up a kid presumably teaching him how you can take the mickey out of your fellow citizens and get rich. The Irish Government is launching an investigation into both Ryanair and O’Leary’s practices as it is widely thought and accepted in Ireland that he is on the wrong side of the law on countless occasions.

Avoid Ryanair – a serious accident with many casualties is only a matter of time.

13. Shane
    Posted July 9, 2008 at 16:02 | Permalink

I just read in the pres that they couldn’t be bothered of helping to board a disabled passenger who had already paid for their flight.

From what I also read in the Canadian press, there is some leak about O’Leary money laundering via Ryanair…Aside of this thank God the E.U. is making life more and more diffcult for Ryanair – hopefully this criminal and his airline will be bust.!

Ryanair ranks among the top 10 unethical businesses in the world. Stop flying them – airports will be less congested without them, the skies safer and the environment better off.!!

14. arthur
    Posted July 10, 2008 at 14:36 | Permalink

I love Ryanair. Touch wood have had minimal problems and they have saved me a fortune. It is also a fact that they are more punctual than Easyjet, BA, Airfrance, Aer Lingus. I have a few tips for everyone:- – Don’t like being sold gin and rum at 6.30am and the loud announcements they make? – BUY SOME EAR PLUGS – Don’t like paying for a bus into the city from the random airport? – PAY MORE AND FLY TO THE MAIN AIRPORT WITH BRITISH AIRWAYS WHO ARE MORE LIKELY TO HAVE A DELAY – Don’t like the rude staff?- DON’T TALK TO THEM – Don’t like the expensive sandwiches and drinks on the plane? – BUY SOME AT THE AIRPORT BEFOREHAND (this one takes a lot of careful planning and foresight) – Don’t like non reclining seats?- HAVE AN EARLY NIGHT THE DAY BEFORE – Feel cheated by credit card fees?- GET A CALCULATOR AND ADD UP THE COST BEFORE YOU BUY IT (FYI it is now GBP8 return for credit card fees) – Don’t like paying to check in luggage?- COMPARE THE TOTAL COST OF YOUR TICKET, WITH THE LUGGAGE FEE, WITH THE COST OF THE OTHER AIRLINES. IF IT IS NOT A LOT CHEAPER WITH RYANAIR DON’T FLY WITH RYANAIR. – DON’T LIKE FLYING ON SLIGHTLY DIRTY AIRPLANES? – Don’t fly with a punctual reliable airline which manages to turn its planes around in 20 minutes (that’s ryanair by the way) – Still hate Ryanair? – FLY WITH ANOTHER AIRLINE

Anyway Ryanair basically charges by reducing its fares until all its planes are 80% full. So, can you please all spend all your spare time winging about Ryanair on web forums and not fly with them. This way I will save even more money.

p.s. I am a real person and not related to Mr O’Leary in any way, honest!

15. Derek
    Posted July 10, 2008 at 19:15 | Permalink

Eh? What? Must have fallen asleep and missed something. Do you have to actually FLY Ryanair have a wing(e) at them?

16. Shaun
    Posted July 19, 2008 at 16:41 | Permalink

I havent even flown with them yet and I’m very annoyed at the ‘service’. I have an important query which may be very relevant as to whether I will be able to fly this week, yet the organisation is faceless and voiceless.

As far as I can see the only way to contact them is via their premium rate phonelines, although when you try to phone the number it simply doesnt work!

This leaves me with two options.

1: Stay at home. 2: Turn up at the airport and hope for the best.

Whereas a simple phonecall would theoretically solve the problem in seconds. Is there anyway to contact this company or are they hiding from me?

17. Posted August 7, 2008 at 02:05 | Permalink

Hello. I travel a lot, and mainly as part of my job. I had the luck to travel with Ryanair a few times. Every time I flew was from and to TRE airport (Finland). I have come to agree totally with Arthur. Ryanair is fantastic. Cheap and accurate flights, and the pilots better than many pilots working for well-known and expensive companies. I never had any problems and the staff has always been polite and helpful. Perhaps, because I always pay what I got to pay, and don’t try to get away with it.

I wish Ryanair had flights to and from Greece, as I am Greek. I have lived for over 20 years in Greece, but I lived in Finland and the UK for a few years, I have traveled with very many airlines, and the worst to me -imho- is BA. Extreme delays for no justified reason (19 hours of delay without even offering a free beverage), they lost my luggage once for one week and another time for one day, when they brought it all broken. Fortunately, they replaced it after some weeks, but it had nothing to do with my quality suitcase.

Regarding the Greek tourism industry, I strongly disagree with the fact that Ryanair or other low budget airlines would destroy it. The contrary; they’d help it bloom.

18. Peter NL
    Posted August 13, 2008 at 12:40 | Permalink

I have flown over 40 times with Ryanair to Rome the last 4 years from 3 different airports and only once the flight was canceled because of heavy fog. Indeed that was a mess and nobody knew what to do next, but okay , it was a €50 return flight including all taxes. All the other flights were in time or even early and cheap too. Never had any problems with the friendly staff and the pilots are very good as far as I can judge.

19. Bobby
    Posted August 15, 2008 at 19:31 | Permalink

It,s a sad fact that only the moaners leave comments on sites like this. In reality, the millions of people who have enjoyed cheap flights with Ryanair and other budget airlines, sadly do not leave any feedback.

I have just had my 5th return flight with Ryanair, never had any problems & so far have found the staff very polite & courtious.

I will continue to use this company as I believe they give very good value for money, just wish they would give an inclusive price, rather than charge for this that & the other, (+ tax)! That would be my only gripe.

20. Victor
    Posted August 25, 2008 at 08:49 | Permalink

Dear Evi, it seems that you are indeed very short-sighted in wishing Ryanair had flights to and from Greece. If you look at the islands of Corfu, Rhodes, Kos, Mikonos, Paros and Santorini – they have become completely destroyed by tourism – nature and wildlife has been completely destroyed on these islands all in the name of hosting tourists so long as they bring in the money nothing else matters. Is this the way you wish to see your country develop – have you not heard of sustainable, green, eco or thematic tourism. Why risk bringing even more “Northern European Drinking Youngsters” who only come to Greece to get drunk and get laid and it is people mainly using charter flights and low-cost airlines such as Ryanair. Is this the way you wish to see your country Greece move forward, already the country has been sold off particularly with regards to last years deliberate fires which burnt 3 million hectares and which insetd of wildlife being reinstated – hotels and golf courses will spring up all over the place – IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT DEAR EVI – TOURISM DEVELOPMENT EVERYWHERE? AND HOW ABOUT A BALANCE FOR ONCE – HOW ABOUT PEOPLE NOT INVADING EVERY LAST SURVIVING NATURAL HABITAT, I MEAN CAN YOU IMAGINE THE FRAGILE ECOSYSTEMS OF THE ISLANDS OF THE SMALL CYCLADES-IRAKLIA,KOUFONISI,KATO KOUFONISI,DONOUSA,KEROS,ANTIKERI AND SCHINOUSSA BEING DEVELOPED – THESE ARE AMONG THE LAST ECOSYSTEMS OF GREECE TO COMPRISE SEALS, DOLPHINS AND MANY EXTREMELY RARE BIRD SPECIES AND BRINGING MASS TOURISM TO SUCH ISLANDS VIA IDIOTIC TOURIST DEVELOPMENT POLICIES AND RYANAIR TYPE PASSENGERS WHO ARE ONLY CONCERNED ABOUT THEIR POCKETS AND BACKSIDE WOULD IRREVERSIBLY DESTROY THE LAST REMAINING HEALTHY MARINE ECOSYSTEM OF THE MEDITERRANEAN.

You say that: “regarding the Greek tourism industry, I strongly disagree with the fact that Ryanair or other low budget airlines would destroy it. The contrary; they’d help it bloom.” YES BLOOM BUT IN WHAT WAY? IS THE ONLY CONCERN IN OUR WORLD TODAY MONEY-MONEY-MONEY?? HOW ABOUT PEOPLE STARTED SEEING THINGS MORE LONG-TERM THAT WITHOUT THE BALANCE, WITHOUT NATURE AND WILD ANIMALS, BIRDS, TREES ETC, THE HUMAN RACE WILL KILL ITSELF. IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT FOR GREECE AND GREEKS, IS THIS WHAT EUROPE WANTS???? BLOOM???? HAS NOT ENOUGH DAMAGE BEEN DONE TO ZAKYNTHOS, MIKONOS, SANTORINI, PAROS, RHODES, CORFU AND CRETE ALREADY BEEN DONE??? AND THINK THAT ZAKYNTHOS IS SUPPOSEDLY A NATIONAL MARINE PARK UNDER THE “NATURA” PROGRAMME FOR THE EXTREMELY RARE LOGGERHEAD TURTLE AND OSPREYS YET NO-ONE CARES AS LONG AS MASS TOURISM STILL BRINGS MONEY.

DEAR EVI, START THINKING OF THIS ISSUE IN A DIFFERENT WAY AND NOT JUST TO SATISFY OUR OWN BACKSIDE AND POCKET. PLEASE TRY TO SEE THE BIG PICTURE AND THE IRREVERSIBLE DAMAGE DONE TO PRISTINE GREEK ISLANDS DUE TO UNCONTROLLABLE CHEAP-MASS PACKAGE TOURISM. ACCENTUATING THIS EVEN FURTHER WITH THE RYANAIRS OF THIS WORLD AND THE PASSENGER CLIENTELE OF SUCH CARRIERS WILL DESTROY GREECE AND ITS BEAUTIFUL NATURAL HABITATS AND ECOSYSTEM – THE PRECISE REASON WHY PEOPLE CHOOSE TO COME TO GREECE ANYWAY – AND DESTROYED IT WILL BECOME TO AN IRREVERSIBLE EXTENT. IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT??? WILL NOT MORE MASS RYANAIR LIKE TOURISM DESTROY EVEN FURTHER WHAT IS LEFT IN OUR COUNTRY????

DEAR EVI, PLEASE REALIGN YOUR THINKING – TOURISM AND TRAVELLING GO WELL BEYOND THE INDIVIDUAL NEED OF CHEAP THRILL FLIGHTS AND THE ISSUE IS EXTREMELY SERIOUS. IT IS ABOUT PROTECTING WHAT IS STILL LEFT – GREECE SHOULD NOT DEVELOP ITS TOURISM INDUSTRY FURTHER UNLESS IT CAN GUARANTEE THAT IT IS GREEN, SUSTAINABLE AND PEOPLE ARE EDUCATED ABOUT THE ENVIRONMENT AT EACH RESPECTIVE HOLIDAY DESTINATION.

TOURISM IN ZAKYNTHOS ACCOUNTS FOR ALMOST 2000 DEATHS IN THE RARE LOGGERHEAD TURTLE ANNUALLY AND ALMOST 40 OSPREYS (ONE OF THE RAREST BIRDS OF PREY) ARE SHOT ANNUALLY. TOURISM ON MIKONOS, PAROS AND SANTORINI ACCOUNT FOR ALMOST 50 MEDITERRANEAN MONK SEAL DEATHS ANNUALLY – THE RAREST SEAL IN THE WORLD AND ONE OF THE RAREST MAMMALS IN THE WORLD – IN ADDITION, UNCONTROLLABLE TOURISM ON THESE ISLANDS LEADS TO THE DEATH OF ALMOST 8000 SEABIRDS ANNUALLY. TOURISM ON RHODES ACCOUNTS FOR ALMOST 1000 DEATHS OF THE RAREST RAPTOR BIRD IN GREECE THE “ELEONORA’S FALCON” AND ALMOST 400 DEATHS OF DOLPHINS PER YEAR.

UNCONTROLLABLE TOURISM IN KOS HAS MEANT THAT THE 4 SPECIES OF OWL LIVING ON THE ISLAND HAVE BECOME EXTINCT SINCE 1994.

WOULD NOT MORE TOURISM BRING THE END OF THIS ECOSYSTEM ALREADY UNDER SUCH PRESSURE???? ARE YOU ALL OF YOU SO NAIVE AND IGNORANT THAT THE ONLY THING OF CONCERN TO YOU IS WHETHER WE CAN GET A EURO 400 PACKAGE IN KOS OR RHODES VIA A CHEAP DEAL AND CHEAP FLIGHTS – IS THIS THE DIRECTION THIS WORLD WHOULD BE HEADING.

HOPING THAT ONE DAY ALL OF YOU WILL OPEN YOUR EYES TO THE REALITY AND THE BLACK TRUTH CONCERNING MASS AND LOW-COST TOURISM WITHOUT ANY REGARD FOR PROTECTION AND CONSERVATION OF THE DESTINATION IN QUESTION…….

WITHOUT NATURE – NO HUMANS – WHY ARE HUMANS SO STUPID IN THINKING THAT THEY CAN SURVIVE JUST BECAUSE THEY SEEMINGLY THINK THAT THEY HAVE CONQUERED THE EARTH, THE SKIES AND THE SEAS – HOW ABOUT SEEING THAT ANIMALS AND NATURE WERE HERE LONG BEFORE US UNTIL OUR UNCONTROLLABLE DESIRE OF MAKING PROFITS AT ALL COSTS AND A DESIRE TO GET ANYWHERE CHEAPLY WITHOUT THE LEAST CONSIDERATION FOR ANYTHING ELSE IS DESTROYING THE VERY NATURE HUMAN EXISTENCE DEPENDS UPON.

IT IS HIGH TIME TO WISE UP AND START CONSIDERING OTHER ISSUES ALSO…..I KNOW HOWEVER THAT FOR THE WORLD OF THE SUV’S CRAZE, THE RYANAIRS CRAZE, THE DO ANYTHING ANYWHERE SO LONG AS MY ASS IS COVERED MENTALITY I MUST SEEM LIKE A LOST ANACHRONISTIC ROMANTIC PEA-BRAINED PERSON, BUT THE TRUTH IS THAT I DO NOT CARE – I JUST DON’T GET WHY MANY PEOPLE STILL DO NOT UNDERSTAND THAT THEIR CURRENT MENTALITIES AND ACTIVITIES MUST BE CHANGED IF PEOPLE AND THEIR CHILDREN ARE TO SURVIVE AND HAVE THE QUALITY OF LIFE THEY DESERVE…..ARE PEOPLE ONLY SATISFIED TODAY IN SATISFYING THEIR OWN BACKSIDE???

21. Alan
    Posted August 26, 2008 at 12:21 | Permalink

Well said Victor on all of your comments!

Greece must not be destroyed by the low-cost buffalo invasion. Pristine Greek islands must be preserved at all costs and must attract a different type of tourist product – thematic tourism, sustainable tourism and tourism with the utmost respect for nature. I am Irish and I feel Ryanair has done more to destroy Ireland rather than really caring about its economic well-being.

Wise up Ms Evi – your comments are entirely void of any intellect whatsoever and simply serve to highlight the depth of ignorance of society and a my-pocket-my-ass type of thinking.

Ryanair hopefully will be history within the next two years or so when people en-masse finally start realising that the low-cost industry is only interested in cutting corners in safety, passenger service, treatment of its employees etc….and ultimately, the only thing the low-cost airline industry has achieved in doing is degrading beyond recognition many many destinations around the world. If you can’ afford a Euro 300 ticket to Athens, Greece for example, stay at home – you do not have the right of pillaging another country simply on a Euro 20 return ticket. This egocentric madness must stop – this world, culture and heritage of each individual country must be preserved and must not succumb to the English-type beer-culture tourism.

22. Charlie
    Posted August 27, 2008 at 12:59 | Permalink

Ryanair are a very unsafe airline and it is only a matter of time that they have a serious crash with fatalities. They cut corners on everything simply focusing on making a profit. This extreme consumer culture airline must be made to go out of business. It is destroying the whole essence and magic of flying and travelling to another country – and its low cost everything is having serious repercussions for environmental degradation and destruction.

Get rid of Ryanair.!

23. Charlie
    Posted August 27, 2008 at 12:59 | Permalink

Get rid of Ryanair.!

24. Becky Grice
    Posted October 3, 2008 at 14:26 | Permalink

Hi all, Just been reading through this thread on Ryanair and, like Mulder and Scully, I’m delighted I’m not alone in loathing Ryanair. Luckily, I have the added advantage of running a newspaper, which allows me to get a few digs in from time to time. So, for your reading pleasure, I have copied below, one of our Front Page stories this week. (By the way, in case you didn’t guess, the Cloyne woman in question was me).

Cloyne woman charged €210 for baggage by Ryan Air On departing for Dublin last week, a Cloyne woman was charged €20 for an additional bag.

Returning from Dublin, the following weekend, the price had suddenly increased to €210. The bag, which weighed under the designated passenger amount of 15kg, was permitted safe passage in the hold to Dublin at a cost of €20 (although Ryan Air’s website had proclaimed the charge to be €15).

However, this cost increased by 1000% on the return journey.

When asked why this change had occurred, Ryan Air staff at Dublin Airport stated that it was company policy to charge this amount, and that Cork Airport had been in the wrong. Ryan Air offered no alternatives to the passenger, who had to fork out over €200 to bring home the same luggage that she had left with.

Cheap flights they may be, but traveller be warned, your luggage could cost you more than your holiday.

25. Juan
    Posted January 10, 2009 at 00:25 | Permalink

Hi everyone,

A friend of mine is a captain working and he told me that Ryainair has very strict directives for refueling the aircrafts. Pilots are not allowed to fuel the airplanes with a single liter over the limit they have imposed for the rute they are doing. This means that if things get nasty with a technical incident while you are on the air your flight safety could be easily compromised since the flying time of their airplanes is far below the ones of regular airlines.

For your safety do not flight Ryanair because it could end up very expensive to save some money…and if we all do this we will force them out of business before they start killing pleople.

26. Duncan
    Posted February 18, 2009 at 14:22 | Permalink

Hopefully, the day is very near when everybody will realise that the whole Ryanair thing is a complete scam and that the whole business is based upon hot air and in effect “stealing” from people / ripping them off!!

Hopefully, the criminal called O’Leary can be locked away in jail for he is known to be involved in paying people off to keep their mouths shut especially as far as concerns safety breach infringements.

Why should such an airline have to exist anyway – it is better to fly a legacy carrier and for all one knows, it is porbably cheaper too when one adds on all these “hidden” and “extra” costs added on by Ryanair before you can say hey!

Hopefully criminal practice companies all too often adopted by the low cost business model companies can close once and for all and we can all go back to the days when aviation was truly an other-wrodly civilised experience.

27. Rio
    Posted February 27, 2009 at 12:32 | Permalink

Will somebody please get rid of this lunatic of this self-centred arrogant psycopath O’Leary who wants to start charging for the use of the toilets in the Ryanair aeroplanes. Somebody please get rid of him – lock him away and let us all pray that Ryanair which has destroyed the whole status and symbolism of air travel and is destroying places everywhere they go to will be closed down by the courts.

Ryanair is a very dangerous airline – they do not care about anything let alone safety – there have been extremely serious breaches of security on ryanair flights.

Somebody somebody in power please tell this O’Leary guy where the hell to go!!!! We are fed up of him and of Ryaniar – we do not want Ryanair anymore to come to Portugal – it is destroying our country.

28. Helen
    Posted June 2, 2009 at 12:18 | Permalink

Currently showing on sky news that Ryanair lost £155m in the last financial year. Is this a sign that people are tiring of all the add on charges and gimmicks?

THANK GOD,RYANAIR WILL VERY SOON BE GOING BUST -I ONLY FEEL SORRY FOR RYANAIR EMPLOYEES WHO HAVE NOT BEEN PAID FOR THE LAST 6 MONTHS BUT HAVE NO SYMPATHY WHATSOEVER FOR RYANAIR AS A COMPANY, NO RESPECT FOR RYANAIR AS AN AIRLINE AND ABSOLUTELY FEEL THAT O’LEARY,THE AIRLINE’S OWNER, IS ONE OF THE MOST VICIOUS CRIMINALS IN THE WORLD. HIS ATTITUDE TO PEOPLE IS VILE AND HE IS CONCERNED ABOUT NOTHING EXCEPT FROM MONEY. KEEP AWAY FROM RYANAIR,THEY ARE A HUGE CON.

29. Serge
    Posted June 5, 2009 at 12:35 | Permalink

An interesting anecdote: the Queen of Spain took a Ryanair flight from Santander to STN this week on a trip to visit her brother in London.

The Queen of Spain is an idiot!

30. Serge
    Posted June 25, 2009 at 12:19 | Permalink

O’Leary’s latest idea is that an pax with hold baggage will have to carry their baggage through security and leave it at the aircraft stairs. On arrival the pax will have to collect their bags from the aircraft stairs and carry it through the airport.

FR will still charge £10/€10 ($16) for the first bag which can weigh a maximum of 15Kg and £20/€20 ($32) for each additional bag after that with not one peice weighing more than 15kg. For every kg over 15kg pax will still pay £15/€15 ($24) per kg for the pleasure

Will FR be weighing the bags at the gate and charging excess baggage as they board??

This latest idea along with the £5/€5 ($8) per pax/flight check in charge all pax are now charged and the £40/€40 ($65) fee they levy to have a boarding card issued at the airport. Is this latest idea and step to far??

Before anyone comments FR only publish their charges in British Pounds and Euro’s. The dollar figure is to give american members a idea of the new charges

RYANAIR ARE FUCKING CRIMINALS STOP THEM FROM FLYING AND OPERATING – THEY HAVE TURNED FLYING FROM AN ENJOYABLE EXPERIENCE TO A NIGHTMARE. STOP FLYING RYANAIR – THEY ARE ONE BIG CON AND YOU END UP PAYING MORE FLYING WITH THEM RATHER THAN WITH ANYBODY ELSE. AND SECONDLY, MICHAEL O’LEARY IS A CRIMINAL AND SHOULD BE LOCKED AWAY FOR GOOD. RYANAIR ARE BLACKENING THE WHOLE AVAIATION SECTOR WITH THEIR UNPROFESSIONAL / UNSAFE AND CRIMINAL TACTICS.

31. marmoset
    Posted July 27, 2009 at 13:16 | Permalink

I have also vowed never to fly Ryanair again. You all talk about cheap flights with minimum baggage. Try flying with a 2 year old and a 4 year old. I kept my baggage down to the 15Kilos per bag only to get stung on the way back for 150 Euro excess charges. Didn’t bring anything extra back but this time forgot to carry some stuff in hand luggage. With 4 of us flying we had a total weight allocation of 60 Kilos ( More if we had extra hands to carry more bags.). Since we were only carrying 40 Kilos in total how are we contributing to higher fuel costs? This is another example of Ryanair’s many scams to increase profits by making their customers pay for more bags or pay penalties for excess weight. I am not talking about a cheap flight here. Total cost was 1200 Euro ( not including the excess charges.) Would have been cheaper in the long run to fly Aer Lingus. I will next time. To top it all off, we arrived like good customers 2 hours in advance to stand in a queue based on TV info, only to find after 30 minutes that we had to start queing again somewhere else. Again I say try this with 2 toddlers. Finally they opened the desk so late that we could not get to the gate on time to avail of the priority boarding that we had payed for. Forget about any duty free!!!

32. Sierra
    Posted July 30, 2009 at 12:26 | Permalink

Youse can complain about Ryanair all you like & I’ve no doubt many of your grievances are genuine. However IMHO Ryanair has one major trump card to play and that is that it uses Boeing aircraft and not Airbus’s. Airlines tend to use similar aircraft partly for easy maintenance purposes and much of Aer Lingus’s fleet are Airbus’s. Not that Boeing aircraft have been without their mishaps but the recent very serious incidents regarding Airbus aircraft has been seriously concerning me about the safety of these aircraft & whether the’re safe to travel in. The main concern we should have when boarding an aircraft is whether the aircraft can deliver us to our destination alive/uninjured/or not having scared the bejasus out of us; compared to these major issues alot of the complaints regarding Ryanair seem superficial.

See below link:

33. guyFromAthens
    Posted November 12, 2009 at 23:07 | Permalink

Some people here are just stupid. What exaclty means “If you cant pay a 300 euro ticket you dont deserve to come to Greece?” You dont deserve to be greek for thinking that then. Oldfags go to hell. Your world is over.

34. Avoid Ryanair Fees
    Posted December 23, 2009 at 14:23 | Permalink
  35. Marc
    Posted November 19, 2010 at 00:35 | Permalink

I have flown Ryan many times and for many years and my comments are:

• The only time I EVER arrived late was when the French went on strike (again) and all flights had to stay on the ground. (Flight from Spain to Holland) Nothing to do with Ryan.

• I stick to a bag which is not bigger than allowed and make sure it’s less than 10 kilos so I leave my make-up, wig, diapers, spare high heels and teddy bear behind. (No big deal) If 10 kg is not enough for you, fly Royal Class on another air line, take as much as you like and don’t complain that the ticket was expensive.

• At boarding I make sure I ‘walk’ very quickly to the stairs and nearly always I get an emergency seat where I can stretch my very long Dutch legs. (at no costs)

• I can live for 2 hours without drinking coffee or eating microwaved food. (I admit, this seems impossible for many other people) I always prepare a nice breakfast or lunch with fruit, tomatoes and cucumbers and that keeps me very happy and kills some time too. (Oh, and apart from being cheap it’s tasty and healthy as well – maybe that’s why so few Dutch are obese?)

• I don’t bother with any of the trolleys, scratch cards or special perfume sales. I keep to myself. I don’t complain about their merchandise ‘overpriced’ and I never get a ‘hard look’ from any of their hard working staff.

• I always take off my shoes and YES, you can put them anywhere you like but NOT at take off or landing. These rules apply everywhere, why on earth are people complaining about this?

• I am flying from Valencia to Amsterdam in 3 weeks, not on Ryan though as it’s not one of their destinations so I am flying Transavia. The tickets (2) were FAR from cheap, coffee ALSO comes with a price and their emergency seats are smaller as I can’t possibly even sit NORMALLY.

• As I can leave my rental car behind at Eindhoven airport (at no extra costs) I chose Ryan for the return lap. This will cost me € 10 extra in petrol.

1. MR NAME ADT 2. MS NAME ADT

PAYMENT DETAILS

********26.98 EUR Total Fare

*********0.00 EUR Taxes, Fees & Charges

********10.00 EUR Passenger Fee: Web Check in

********10.00 EUR Passenger Fee: Administration Fee

********46.98 EUR Total Paid

So that’s TWO tickets for € 47 ALL included.

HOW DARE ANYONE COMPLAIN?!

Really, what a spoiled rotten bunch of people are out there.

Complain about your rotten government instead, your civil ‘servants’ and other lazy buggers that cost YOU billions and worked YOU into a massive debt. THAT would be justified.

Getting from A to B quickly and safely for these TOTALLY INSANE prices is a FANTASTIC job.

I wish Michael was our Prime Minister. No non sense, get the job done.

36. alex hollins
    Posted February 2, 2011 at 16:28 | Permalink

I’ve used Ryanair several times and always felt as if I was glad to be away from the airport and any chance of being fined for not having printed off a document or something else you hadn’t even thought of. Their web site looks simple enough but to the unitiated could contain numerous expesive pit falls. Be careful. Get somebody to check your booking before you commit. MISTAKES COULD BE VERY EXPENSIVE. The whole ethos of this company seems to bs based around ‘let the buyer beware’ and extracting money from their customers. Personally I don’t think that this business model is sustainable. I will only use Ryanair if I have to which is very unlikely. I feel sorry for the folk who work for them. Imagine being employed by an organisation hell bent on chisseling money out of their staff and customers. I’d like to vent my spleen to Ryanair direct but this is not possible without using premium phone lines and as we all know they don’t do refunds. No e-mail contact for an online business?? Is that legal? There seems to be two main budget air lines. One is run by a smarmy, arrogant bully and the other isn’t. Could I recomend Ryanair? Do they care? This is where eventually they will come undone. Too much bad publicity is not good publicity. I would rather pay a little more rather than deal with Ryanair. If Ryanair took some notice I think that they would be even more suuccessful than they have been. I don’t want Ryanair to go under. That would be bad news for all travellers. At the moment it would seem that Ryanair is like a bar of rock that’s past it’s best with ‘watch out’ written right through.

37. Derek
    Posted February 2, 2011 at 18:42 | Permalink

January 18th. 2011, whilst waiting at the gate for the 19.45hrs flight from Gerona to Liverpool, I observed the demise of a poor passenger boarding the 19.05hrs flight to Charleroi.

He arrived at the gate and was asked to put his case in the size gauge. It didn’t fit, so he was advised he would have to check it in. He opened it and removed his large overcoat. It still did not easily fit due to something in the side pocket, and she wouldn’t let him push it in. She now insisted that it be checked in and began writing a check-in label out. He opened the side pocket and removed a white object about 8ins. square and 1 ins thick, folded it in half, and put it in his coat pocket. The bag then fit easily into the gauge. However he was made to check the bag in because she was already in the process of writing out the label.

I felt sorry for the guy as he obviously didn’t know the ropes. I, on the otherhand boarded with my 10kg soft bag, wearing my overcoat with the pockets stuffed with 3 kilos of oranges and lemons.

38. antio'leary
    Posted November 28, 2011 at 13:32 | Permalink

Kudos to Victor Theofilopoulos , I appreciated your contribution. I was scammed by Ryanair too , I flew with them only once , but it cost me 350 € to do Beauvais-Girona, I missed the flight back because of their abysmal customer service, had to pay the hotel in Girona and the train back to Paris, and I missed 2 days work, it never happened to me with ANY airlines, -and I’m 50 and have been flying since I’m 6! The generalization of low cost (like Aldi low cost stores reminiscent of stores in the former East Bloc countries) is a vicious evolution of our neo capitalist societies which seem to sink rapidly to the low level of service and of quality and the orwellian atmosphere of the so despised former Communist system : what’s the use to topple the Berlin Wall if in fine the Soviet mentality wins under the mask of degenerate capitalism ?

39. Posted August 25, 2012 at 18:41 | Permalink

Please Google Ryanairdontcare Campaign to see the real issues at Ryanair. Mr O’Leary and his boss David Bonderman US Billionaire are SCUM…Dignity and Respect to Ryanair crew…

40. Posted February 5, 2013 at 14:39 | Permalink

Ryanair – and other low cost carriers have caused an upheaval in the complacent government pampered ‘flag’ carriers. They have made flying affordable to the general public at all levels and have generated huge economic benefits all round. The Dutch KRO recently published extremely dubious TV programs trying to suggest that Ryanair skimps on safety costs. They trumped up some anonymous disguised pilots who claimed that this was true – again without being able to provide a shred of evidence to confirm their allegations. They ignored Ryanair’s fantastic safety record. I can only assume that the KRO were paid a backhander to dream up this program, probably by an airline – no guesses who. I hope that Ryanair will sue the KRO and that they will be awarded siginificantly more damages than KRO originally earned from the probable backhander. As to all the criticasters on this forum – get wise. Check prices and conditions before you book a ticket. I believe an online booking with Ryanair shows you exactly what the total price is before you pay. If you don’t like it, don’t book! And by the way, I have no connection whatsoever with Ryanair or any other low cost carrier. O’Leary – go for it :)

41. Mary
    Posted February 14, 2013 at 10:30 | Permalink

I would be very careful regarding the comments you make regarding Ryanair online given that 17 posters from on online aviation bulletin board have been subpoenad by Ryanair who want their identities revealed and may sue them.

Regarding my recent experiences flying with them which were infrequent they were fine. Their Boeing 737-800’s are on average 4=5 years old so they have one of the youngest fleets of any airline and they don;t scrimp on maintenance. I play their game, if I’m connecting to a long haul flight I prepay for larger, heavier luggage, I watch the bottom line & what I’ve paid for before I click the purchase button.

On the 3-4 flights I’ve used them for in the past 3-4 years they got me there on time after a smooth, uneventful flight. I could have done without the recovering drug addict sitting beside me though recalling me with his lifelong woes on one four hour flight. He did however kindly buy me a steak roll and there were only little specks of steak in it. The steward was so embarassed he quickly replaced it. Alot of the choices on the menu were off. The sales pitches were tolerable and the little ditty they play at the end amused me.

But that was just a small blip, main thing was that I got to my destination alive, in one piece and on time.

42. Posted February 14, 2013 at 11:12 | Permalink

Would love Ryanair to take me to court..A big thank you must be said to COMMISSIONER JOAQUIN ALMUNIA over the Aer Lingus bid from Europe’s Greatest Exploiter oF Young People ”RYANAIR”…. I was suspended from pprune site a year ago,the truth hurts Ryanair..