UPS Ireland suck

I’m waiting for a replacement battery from Dell, covered under warranty. Dell service have been great, but UPS, not so much…

On Monday (25th June), after a little back-and-forth to establish that the battery was faulty, I got a mail from Dell saying:

The Part (Battery) will be with you tomorrow pre 17:00 (Next Business Day). Please note that you will require to return the faulty part at the same point of time, the courier person would not be delivering the part until you return the defective part.

Great! That’s good warranty service. I’m happy.

So I wait… and wait. Finally, 2 days later, today (Wednesday 27th), at 17:45, a courier appears to pick up the faulty part. Unfortunately, he doesn’t have the replacement with him.

I go online to see what’s up via online tracking, and see this:

Location Date Local Time Description
27/06/2007 4:13 IN-TRANSIT SCAN
27/06/2007 4:12 IMPORT SCAN
26/06/2007 18:31 IMPORT SCAN
26/06/2007 5:59 IMPORT SCAN
26/06/2007 5:58 OUT FOR DELIVERY
26/06/2007 3:59 ARRIVAL SCAN
26/06/2007 4:39 DEPARTURE SCAN
26/06/2007 4:14 DEPARTURE SCAN
25/06/2007 10:09 ORIGIN SCAN

So, what, the street name is “INCORRECT” despite one UPS driver having no problem? I suspect someone just couldn’t be arsed.

I rang up UPS, provided a hint, and it seems the delivery is now rescheduled for Friday. So much for “next business day” delivery! Lucky the laptop works on AC without the battery, otherwise I’d be quite annoyed.

I wonder if I can provide feedback to Dell about this? There’s a possibility they might switch courier company if they get enough complaints about crappy service. It also makes me wonder if there’s any decent international parcel delivery service in Ireland. At least UPS haven’t yet required me to schlep over to a “local” depot 5 miles away to pick up the package myself, like An Post does…

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

1. Simon
    Posted June 27, 2007 at 20:40 | Permalink

Watch out for the closely related “Business not listed in Building Directory”. The driver who eventually delivered my memory on day four couldn’t work it out since he’s delivered lots of packages with no trouble. Phoning up and presupplying them with my phone number and clear directions was no help either :(

2. Posted June 27, 2007 at 21:59 | Permalink

At least you got delivery via UPS.

When I needed a replacement Hard Drive from Dell, it got sent via An Post. Was I surprised when it didn’t arrive? A 200 quid non-tracked bit of kit disappearing in the post?

Laptop was out of action for 2 weeks until Dell acknowledged the problem and sent a replacement. Not good.

3. Posted June 28, 2007 at 10:48 | Permalink

I don’t think Dell will be changing delivery companies any time soon since UPS handles (global) logistics for them too. I wouldn’t be surprised if UPS actually does some of Dell’s repairs also, like they do for a number of computer/electronics companies.

Oddly enough, anything I get from Dell comes via the UPS hub in Mississauga Ontario, gets shipped to Purolator (Canada Post in disguise) somewhere in the Mississauga/Toronto area, and then arrives via Purolator usually within about 5 minutes of the UPS guy’s second of his twice daily visits. I think any attempts to make sense of Dell’s delivery methods will be futile.

4. Posted June 28, 2007 at 17:09 | Permalink

The Dell support guy mailed me this morning and asked if the case could be closed. I informed him that the replacement battery hadn’t arrived yet — to his surprise, since the delivery was listed as complete in his system… so apparently he’s chasing it up on his side, for what good that’ll do.

Daryl: ‘Purolator’? what a bizarre name for a courier company! sounds like a dog food ;)

5. Posted June 28, 2007 at 18:33 | Permalink

Yeah, a little odd. I always thought the name had French roots (since my French vocabulary sucks) but it appears that it dates to the 60’s when the Purolator Filter Company of the US bought Trans Canadian Couriers.

6. Paddy Flynn
    Posted May 20, 2008 at 08:31 | Permalink

I am waiting for a new Dell monitor and since it left Herkenbosch yesterday morning, it has travelled to Cologne, Dublin and Shannon where it arrived this morning. If my monitor arrives in the next two hours, it will mean that it arrived in less than 24 hours and that can’t be bad. But, we will wait and see.

7. Posted October 9, 2008 at 11:08 | Permalink

I just got something delivered from the USA by UPS. They charged an extra €28.93 for administration. This is despite my having already paid about $35 on the US website for postage. The entire value was about €50 so was too small to attract import duty.

8. James
    Posted February 15, 2009 at 11:00 | Permalink

Instead of blaming logistics perhaps you should blame the wanker who data entried your personalia.

Please don’t think that a courier has time to work out all the fucking mistakes that Dell administration key entered worng. If he spent the whole day working out all of the cryptic puzzles you this forum would be long enough to track the equator.

Have a little understanding and respect and we will all get along much better.

9. Posted February 16, 2009 at 10:50 | Permalink

@James: what makes you think the address info was entered wrong? it was perfectly accurate.

10. Rian
    Posted August 25, 2010 at 13:03 | Permalink

I am waiting for my Xbox to be returned for two days now. I get a call yesterday saying I am at flat 1 Dollymount Avenue, dublin 13. I said well thats strange cuz I live in flat 1 Belmont Avenue, Donnybrook dublin 4!! How could you get that so messed up?? It is not Xbox problem because I was clear and concise with them…

11. Posted October 29, 2010 at 10:11 | Permalink

This is great news.

I’ve updated to reflect this.

12. Posted October 29, 2010 at 12:15 | Permalink

Patrick, what is great news? Also I see no sign of anything being updated on to “reflect this”.

Are you by any chance spamming Irish blog’s comments to advertise the site, from Indian IP addresses?

Author : patrickirish (IP: ,
    E-mail : [email protected]

$ whois % [ node-3] % Whois data copyright terms

inetnum: – netname: RCOM descr: Reliance Communications Ltd descr: Dhirubai Ambani Knowledge City descr: Thane Belapur Road, KoparKhairane descr: Navi Mumbai – 400710 descr: India country: IN admin-c: AH406-AP tech-c: AH406-AP notify: [email protected] remarks: -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-++-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ remarks: This object can only be updated by APNIC hostmasters. remarks: To update this object, please contact APNIC remarks: hostmasters and include your organisation’s account remarks: name in the subject line. remarks: -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-++-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ changed: [email protected] 20070216 mnt-by: APNIC-HM mnt-lower: MAINT-IN-SN mnt-routes: MAINT-IN-SN status: ALLOCATED PORTABLE changed: [email protected] 20070831 changed: [email protected] 20080513 source: APNIC

that’s pretty classy…. I may write a blog post about in that case ;)

13. John
    Posted December 31, 2010 at 20:12 | Permalink

I ordered a laptop from Apple on christmas day 2010. It was a bank holiday monday and tuesday which i accept. However, the laptop arrived in Dublin from Tamworth on wednesday evening. It said on the tracking system that the laptop should be with me on friday 31/12/2010 (today) which would of allowed then 2 days to get the laptop from dublin to my house which is about 3 hours away.

I checked my delivery status this morning hoping to see a “out for delivery” status appear. However, it said, I live in a to “remote” area for it to be delivered and said it will not arrive until next tuesday!! I was guaranteed delivery by 31/12/2010 which i will not get until 4/1/2011!

So much for UPS and their guaranteed delivery dates. Their service was shocking and the parcel should have been delivered today (31/12/2010) regardless of where i live or anyone else lives for that matter of fact. It was probably an excuse for the driver not to go out today because it was new years eve and wanted to get pissed in his local!

14. Justin Mason
    Posted February 2, 2011 at 21:06 | Permalink

This may be my new favourite site. At least you didn’t work for the gits!!!

15. Justin Mason
    Posted February 2, 2011 at 21:07 | Permalink

oops, that last one wasn’t from Justin, I put his name in to remain anonymous. Nuf said??

16. mary murphy
    Posted February 11, 2011 at 19:56 | Permalink

i have just had experience of the UPS global logisitcs set up. the AM “Business not listed in Building Directory” is what i am seeing whilst tracking the shipment so now wont have bloody laptop until next week…if im lucky. It beats me how it gets from Shanghai to shannon in under 24 hours no bother and then……???

17. Shrapnel Jones
    Posted June 14, 2011 at 09:19 | Permalink

Well, I too apparently live in a remote area and this will not be taking delivery of my new PC parts today. Never mind it was dispatched on Thursday night from the UK. It spent Thursday night, Friday Night, Saturday Night and Sunday Night in the Tambworth depot, and didn’t arrive into Dublin until 6.30pm last night…..

Now I am too remote for delivery. I live within 35 minutes of approx 150,000 people. Now, yes I know, that’s not huge but it’s hardly insubstantial.

So if you live in Ireland, use DHL, or An Post or anyone else, but please dont use UPS.

Almost seven days for a package to travel 400 miles

18. Neil McLoughlin
    Posted January 6, 2012 at 20:50 | Permalink

Same sad story here. Ordered a map on SD card from Garmin as a Christmas gift. They shipped from UK on 20th Dec .. unfortunately by UPS. UPS tracking shows order was received in Dublin on the 21st. Then on 22nd from their tracking site: “The receiver is not listed on the building directory UPS is attempting to obtain the information and complete delivery / A postcard has been sent to the recipient requesting that they contact UPS” I live in rural Carlow and I don’t know what building directory they are referring to, but I do know that UPS are the only shipping company that has ever failed to deliver to my address? The most depressing part tho’ is that they didn’t even pretend to care about making the delivery. On the 22nd Dec I provided my phone number and loc8 code via the UPS tracking site. At no stage did I receive any contact from UPS – not even the postcard! (why not just post the SD card lads?). On 3rd January they shipped back to Garmin! Please never use this company, they really just don’t care. If Garmin had just shipped by surface mail, I would have got it by good old An Post. They always deliver.