Links for 2009-05-20

1. Tim
    Posted May 20, 2009 at 23:35 | Permalink

Trust me, you will never ever ever get around to scanning those negatives no matter how great your scanner is. Send the lot off to scancafe.com and let them do it for you, and get that nagging guilt off your plate.

2. Posted May 20, 2009 at 23:51 | Permalink

Scancafe! brilliant, I’d never seen that. I may just do that…

3. Tim
    Posted May 20, 2009 at 23:55 | Permalink

if you’d like to see some samples, email me and i’ll send you a link to the batch i had done from slides.

4. ben
    Posted May 21, 2009 at 00:36 | Permalink

I misread that as “Scanface” and then had a brilliant business idea.

5. David Malone
    Posted May 21, 2009 at 08:51 | Permalink

I have an 8600F that I used to scan a bunch of slides and negatives that I had (about 115 in total). Worked well for me, though I’m not particularly picky.

6. Steve Loughran
    Posted May 21, 2009 at 09:08 | Permalink

Yes, I’ve been thinking of that same scanner myself. You can get your back photos scanned in, you just need to come up with a funding model for a child that makes them do it.

Oddly enough, amazon UK don’t stock this scanner. I think they did a couple of months ago, but now its only listed as sold by third parties. I wonder why not?

7. Posted May 21, 2009 at 09:47 | Permalink

Steve — it could have been replaced by a newer model; I’ve seen that happen in that case. possibly Amazon.co.uk have fewer stocks and run out sooner.

Looking at Scancafe, $0.24 * 1000 photos = $240; if I come up with some kind of estimate for how much my time is worth, even if I add the cost of shipping 1000 negs to them via UPS, it’s hard to argue against just using that service.

update — oh damn. https://www.scancafe.com/faq :

‘ Q39: Do you take international orders?

We are happy to announce that we can now accept orders from Canada. However, we are not able to accept orders from any other international locations at this time. We are working with US Customs to figure out how to best do this – when we do launch this service, we will let everyone know through our monthly newsletter which you can receive by signing up – its free and all we take is your email address, no other personal info is required. You can register by clicking on the “Get Started” button on the home page.’

looks like I’m going to be hand-scanning 1000 negs then :(

Dave, if you want to get rid of it and are interested in selling me your 8600F second-hand, that’d be another option ;)

8. David Malone
    Posted May 21, 2009 at 10:03 | Permalink

I’d be happy to loan it to you for a few months – I don’t use it that frequently and that should be enough time to see if you find it useful. It only took me a few evenings to get through my slides. Drop me a mail if you’re interested.