n+30 Days

Colm’s “n+1” post reminded me that I’d forgotten to write about this.

On July 27th, I started at Amazon, in a new Dublin-based software dev team working on infrastructure automation. It’s now (just over) a month later, and I’m enjoying it immensely.

Needless to say, this company does some very interesting web-scale technology, and getting to look inside the AWS sausage factory is really enjoyable, believe it or not ;)

(I should also post a pic of my glorious screen real-estate. The hardware is a massive improvement over the previous gig, thankfully.)

Unfortunately, however, this has coincided with a lack of free time to blog and keep up with interweb-based leisure pursuits, including SpamAssassin. Really though, this is more due to looking after two wonderful little girls under 2 years of age, rather than the job — but still, I need to remedy my neglect of this site…

In SpamAssassin news: we’ve been putting out some alpha releases of 3.3.0, and are planning to do a mass-check for score-generation in the next couple of days. Hopefully we can drive 3.3.0 to a GA release in a few weeks.

Also — we’re still looking for more people in the Amazon team, and hiring aggressively. If you’re looking for an interesting software dev role in Dublin, get in touch!

PS: it was Bea’s second birthday last weekend. Check out the awesome Very Hungry Caterpillar cupcake cake made by the missus for the occasion:

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

1. Walter Higgins
    Posted September 3, 2009 at 08:21 | Permalink

Congrats on the Amazon gig. Too bad they don’t have a Cork office.

2. Stuart McCaul
    Posted September 3, 2009 at 14:41 | Permalink

Hi Justin,

Looks like you got a great gig. Of course, you’re missing out on working with us!

I hope it works out for well you.

Rgds.

3. Posted September 3, 2009 at 15:27 | Permalink

That’s a favorite book of my daughters as well — very nice cupcake caterpillar!

4. Posted September 4, 2009 at 00:53 | Permalink

my son knows the words of that story all too well, and has spent days drawing every scene of it.

Jareth would /love/ that cake. I’ll show it to him tomorrow

5. Anders Holm
    Posted September 4, 2009 at 08:27 | Permalink

Walter, how could we not have an office in the Peoples Republic of Cork?

Well, if you’re interested in customer service anyway ..

Love the cake there Justin. I arranged a Winnie the Pooh cake for my kids many many years ago now. They still talk of it. Mainly because they ate too much.. :)

6. Alex
    Posted September 4, 2009 at 21:23 | Permalink

Happy birthday Bea!

Hope she had a nice green leaf the day afterwards.

Alex

7. Posted September 4, 2009 at 21:36 | Permalink

Awesome to hear!

8. Posted September 7, 2009 at 14:32 | Permalink

And you’re getting one of our best engineers, Brian White, soon. Now if only I was a Java/C++ head…

9. Posted September 7, 2009 at 16:02 | Permalink

Paul: I know! sorry about that, but I’m quite happy with the result ;)