Links for 2010-01-28

1. Posted January 29, 2010 at 14:06 | Permalink

I go to London about twice a year and I genuinely enjoy their public transport, I’d happily toddle around the city all day on it, and I now have a PAYG Oyster card to make it even easier.

I don’t use public transport in Ireland. Ever. That, to me, says it all.

2. Posted January 29, 2010 at 14:56 | Permalink

Adam — they introduced a good bus ticket recently in Dublin — 10 journeys for 18 EURO, with a massive time limit (2 years iirc). in other words I can carry around this card and never have to worry about change.

previously the problem was that you could never catch a bus unless you already know how much the journey would cost from prior experience, or you had a fistful of shrapnel in your back pocket to handle the range of options. this sorts out the problem.

It’s still pretty expensive though. should be cheaper to be really useful.

3. Posted January 29, 2010 at 15:53 | Permalink

Progress is always good Justin, but I wouldn’t applaud them for a tiny little increment like that. The system you’re buying a ticket for remain positively prehistoric — single ticketing implementation in particular seems to just go on and on, in standard Oirish talking shop mode.

In London I swipe my Oyster card (or a simple one-day Travelcard, if I don’t have it) in West Norwood train station, take the train to Victoria and swipe into the Tube, and anywhere in London I can swipe onto a bus. 99% of the stations have realtime travel info, and probably 90-95% of the buses and trains have it. And the credit on my Oyster card is used intelligently – I’ll never pay more than a one-day Travelcard – and it never expires. Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t live in London in a fit, but I do love going there, and the ease of use of the transport system enhances visits no end.

Don’t even get me started on the fact that in Dublin we have a tram system instead of a simple cut-and-cover underground, losing massive amounts of usable land in the process. And on transport in general, the implementations of the Port Tunnel, the M50, and the barrier-free tolling on the M50, should be just plain embarassing to whoever was responsible.

Sadly, they’re probably proud of it all.

4. Posted January 29, 2010 at 17:01 | Permalink

I know someone who worked on the Luas project. They complained that the FF govt ministers managed to take the (implementable) plans for integrated ticketing, and render them utterly fucked up. They were certainly not proud of it — rather, frustrated.

5. Posted January 29, 2010 at 17:52 | Permalink

Yu have to feel sorry for people like that!

6. Nix
    Posted February 2, 2010 at 00:37 | Permalink

Even if you didn’t cut URLs at the registrar boundary, the only entity SA would be leaking data to would be the URIBL operators. The moronic Thunderbird misfeature you link to leaks data to arbitrary DNS server operators, controllable by the sender of the email! You’d think ‘do not carry out network lookups to hosts dependent on the content of an email’ would be utterly bleeding obvious, but not to the Thunderbirders it seems.

(I’m gladder than ever that I use Gnus. The more I look at them the more I think that these flashy graphical clients are just too damn dangerous…)