Links for 2010-06-10

1. Simon
    Posted June 11, 2010 at 00:25 | Permalink

Haven’t checked the MythTV compatibility, but Terratec H5 works a treat for me.

2. Posted June 11, 2010 at 10:38 | Permalink

on what platform? Linux or Mac?

http://linux.terratec.de/tv_en.html notes: ‘The chipset maker has not approved to publish the source code under the GPL license. Thus, support is not possible.’ which does not sound terribly promising :(

3. Posted June 11, 2010 at 11:09 | Permalink

Lads, ye sounds like experts, little help? I’ve been trying to figure out a way of capturing programmes from my Sky+ box for a while, and I’m not getting there. I bought one of those EasyCap things, but of course I bought the wrong one and the sound was shite. The Dazzle things seem ok, but they’re expensive and I don’t want to shell out again on something that might not work. And I’m guessing the WinTV thing above doesn’t do hi-def (although admittedly that’s not a huge problem). I realise ye’re looking for something more open, but if ye’ve any tips for me I’d appreciate it.

Thanks, adam

4. Posted June 11, 2010 at 11:20 | Permalink

hey Adam!

i haven’t looked into getting data off a Sky+ box at all (yet), but I think you’d be stuck recording the analog output directly from the SCART or the 3 RCA composite outputs. in that case, you want an analog tuner card — and yep, it won’t do HD in that case.

I think asking on the boards Sky+ forum might be the best bet.

5. Posted June 11, 2010 at 11:26 | Permalink

I’m a moron, of course the signals from SCART are going to be analog, so I guess the WinTV yoke above would work. Would you know of anything cheaper that would definitely work though? I don’t need a remote like.

My solution was to buy a DVD recorder and use that, but who needs another big chunk of equipement under their telly. :)

6. Posted June 11, 2010 at 11:41 | Permalink

if you’re using Windows, there are buckets of super-cheap analog devices, e.g. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hauppauge-WIN-TV-HVR-900TV-Analogue-Digital/dp/B000CENSCG/

however I’ve just realised that most of them will actually use an RF socket for analog input, and I have no idea how to convert from SCART/composite to that, or even if it’s possible :(

what about this? http://www.cables-leads.co.uk/scart-to-usb-2-0-video-capture-kit/

7. Posted June 11, 2010 at 20:25 | Permalink

That’s the kind of thing, but I’m a bit slow to buy something without someone having tried it and saying “yeah, it’s dead easy”. :) Thanks though!