Links for 2012-07-10

1. Craig Hughes
    Posted July 11, 2012 at 05:00 | Permalink

My first thought when I heard this the first time is: nothing, you’re already dead even if the blades don’t turn on. All the surface area to volume ratios of every biological process in your body just went so out of whack that nothing is transferring across semi-permeable membranes in the right way any more.

2. Craig Hughes
    Posted July 11, 2012 at 05:04 | Permalink

The mass/density thing I read as a clear red-herring to make you not think biologically about surface area to volume ratios but to think about mechanical advantage of now being super strong. Having good leverage don’t matter for shit though if you can’t oxidize glucose at the cellular level.

3. Keith
    Posted July 11, 2012 at 09:30 | Permalink

I hate these questions too and make sure to stamp them out in any interviewers I talk to. I think we’ve managed to stop people asking them in SRE interviews (we already have enough stuff to find out about with networking, unix internals, troubleshooting, scripting, coding etc). I’m fairly sure that none of the more experienced interviewers (the ones you would meet in the initial phone screens) for SRE roles would ask such stupid questions.

It’s hard to persuade nerds they’re being dicks when they ask stuff like this though, they think it’s clever.

4. Posted July 11, 2012 at 14:36 | Permalink

hey Craig — yeah. this one makes a similar point: http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/w9vqd/you_are_shrunk_to_the_height_of_a_nickel_and/c5bi6on

Keith — tell me about it. I think at least it’s been narrowed down to the less-technical roles, product manager etc.; there’s plenty of more useful data to be gleaned from techie candidates through other questions. I have no idea if we use this kind of thing in Amazon, to be honest. Definitely not in our team ;)

5. Steve Ryan
    Posted July 15, 2012 at 20:21 | Permalink

I actually like these type of interview questions. The company is making it clear from the very start they’re not the kind of company I want to work for, so we can just end the interview…

6. Keith
    Posted July 15, 2012 at 20:37 | Permalink

Except that by that time they’ve wasted at least six hours of your life and probably more.